- The new “Black Panther” movie was hella good. Visual beauty with those costumes, and the stars were kickass too .
- Snowmageddon means I can cuddle on the couch inside with the dogs (we now have two) and boy, knitting in the warmth without anyone, including myself, wanting me to go outside.
- Leftover Chinese fried rice from the corner restaurant means no one has to cook tonight!
- Ikea just helped us hide I mean organize our craft stuff. All hail Ikea!
- Handknit socks. Warm, perfectly fitting, full of love. I cast on another pair today.
grace in small things
1. I thought my loss of a connection for crabapples meant no jelly making this year. Instead, I was moved to ask around and now I have more apples (crab AND gala-type) than I know what to do with.
2. The above also moved me to ask about other fruits and berries and I’m also full up on sour cherries too.
3. I have a sitter coming so that I can go hang with my knitter peeps. I’m cool that way.
4. Pecan, goat cheese, strawberry and field greens salad. (because at least one grace in small things must be food related)
5. Cold, crisp, fresh water.
Wage a battle against embitterment: Grace in Small Things.
1. Our childcare provider opens her door with a smile every single morning. She warmly welcomes my often miserable morning-hating child. The drama! The angst! The sadness of it all! She gives him some time to get it out of his system then reigns him in and redirects him to a happier place. I’m not a morning person either so I really appreciate her empathetic methods.
2. Dairy-free, nut-free and soy-free cake mix by Betty Crocker. Delicious!
3. Painting birdhouses is something that engages little guy and myself. Perfect fun on a summer evening on the deck.
4. This course I’m in right now has a great instructor. Engagement triggers my brain to learn.
5. Portobello Mushroom burger was the special today in the cafe. Zucchini, peppers, sprouts, cream cheese – delicious.
Wage a battle against embitterment: Grace in Small Things.
1. A long mid-day bath
2. Homemade chicken korma. Yellow food is good!
3. List making is so satisfying. I made two today.
4. Remembering to put the recycling out for pickup without The Husband here to do it. I remembered something! MIRACULOUS!!
5. The Husband survived his camping trip. He’s still sweating booze and he had a great time and he missed me lots. Which is satisfying because I missed him too.
1. A long long walk with my most awesome canine friend
2. I fixed the vacuum! I fixed the vacuum! ME ME ME fixed something!
3. I had microwaved haddock and wow, it was really enjoyable.
4. I found my mat leave city guide that I bought months ago.
5. Napping without guilt
1. Payless Shoes BOGO. I have more than just icky flip flops to wear. Which is good.
2. Heritage Park. I rode a bonafide steam engine
3. Seeing life from the vantage point of a kid for the afternoon.
4. Hanging out with great people who used to be our neighbours.
5. Giant ripe juicy red watermelon
1. I have enough vacation days left to take today off without it affecting my maternity leave additional benefits (extra payout based on sick hours not taken)
2. The Husband did not go into anaphylactic shock when the cat allergy really reared its ugly head today.
3. Even though he could barely breathe, he still took care of the cat litter so I wouldn’t have to.
4. The shelter is safe enough now for the foster cats to go back so we didn’t have to panic about The Husband’s allergic reaction.
5. I bought one of those $20 coupon books on Wed and I’ve already gotten $5 off my groceries and a free chicken leg. Score!
1. A long conversation with a friend that confirms that I’m feeling more prepared than scared.
2. A dirt and grease covered husband that smells of garage sweat. Mmm… yummy
3. Dexter – working our way through season 2 between items on the To Do list
4. Results: a letter to a company president resulted in an apology and refund within 24 hours of sending. Holy finally customer service, batman!
5. Being ok with missing the last camping trip of the summer. I’m missing it for my most awesome reason in the world: 35 weeks pregnant!
1. We passed our prenatal classes! Wheee!
2. While swaddling a doll during our last class, we realized that the pregnancy we’ve been enjoying will become a small human. And soon. This, my friends, brings great joy.
3. I have successfully talked myself into calm: all we need for above human is breasts (check!), place to sleep (bassinet check!) and something to catch poop (check!). We’re technically ready. 🙂
4. An impromptu supper with the inlaws
5. Kittens running down the hallway to attack my feets
1. Working from home = pajama day!
2. Five little kittens running around the hallway, attacking each other in roly poly ways that only kittens can manage
3. The Dog has finally figured out that getting near the kittens means she will be screamed at by the Momma cat.
4. A happy midwife appointment to confirm that yep, everything is going swimmingly!
5. Discovering that 90% of people are being turned away from the midwife offices due to overwhelming demand – we are blessed to have gotten in to their practice!
Grateful? Oh yes… so much to be grateful for!
1. That mudding drywalling friend? He’s spending tomorrow during the DAY working on my basement. I swoon with happiness.
2. Tropical storm Danny doesn’t appear to be aiming for Newfoundland with the force originally predicted. Which is a huge relief.
3. I have finished and submitted all of the maternity leave paperwork. I’m still in shock about the entire thing, really.
4. Amy Winehouse is really working for me today.
5. Starburst has a new “FAVE Reds” pack – and the reds/pinks are always my favourites!
1. A friend who will spend his Sunday afternoon spreading drywall mud all over my basement walls while attempting to teach me how to do it.
2. The Winter Husband is back. He’s just like my husband but without the facial hair. Every year when he shaves his face, I feel scandalous. 😉
3. “4 Kinds of Vegetables” dish from the local chinese joint. OMG, too good to be just veggies but that’s all it is.
4. The dog warming my feet while I check my email.
5. The man from the grocery store produce department that jumped in and helped me take all the groceries to the car even though he had never done a carryout before. And he was handsome and charming to boot!
1. Blackberry jam on toast
2. Water ivy exists and is living in a Vancouver apartment
3. The meeting with the new neighbours was very friendly.
4. Itsy bitsy kittehs in my bathroom
5. Early afternoon naps are da bomb!